This is a busy weekend around here for two reasons…one, a dear friend of our family passed away and his funeral is today. Second, another dear friend's oldest son is getting married today!
Two very different occasions I know but special to us nonetheless.
My mother in law is having the lunch before the funeral at her home today so I offered to help with the desserts. One of them was a praline key lime pie in the recent issue of Southern Living and it's so pretty I just had to share it with you!
While making it I realized that if I didn't put it in such a deep pie plate then I could easily get two pies out of one recipe! Pretty smart of me I thought to myself! ( and probably announced it to Jim as well!)
Here they are after the first step of the baking process with the praline filling in the bottom.
Next, the key lime filling goes in after the praline crust has cooled.
Then the pies are put back in the oven to bake a second time!
At this point your house is smelling quite wonderful because of the yummy toasted pecans in the crust!
It was very simple to do and I hope they will enjoy it at the lunch today. I also did a homemade banana pudding but will save that for later.
Praline Key Lime Pie
- 1 1/4 cups chopped pecans
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. jarred caramel topping
- 2 (14-oz.) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons Key lime or lime zest
- 1 cup fresh Key lime or lime juice
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through.
- 2. Stir together graham cracker crumbs, next 2 ingredients, and 1/2 cup toasted pecans until blended. Press crumb mixture on bottom, up sides, and onto lip of a lightly greased 10-inch deep-dish pie plate.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven to a wire rack, and cool completely (about 45 minutes).
- 4. Sprinkle remaining 3/4 cup toasted pecans over bottom of crust; drizzle caramel topping over pecans.?
- 5. Whisk together sweetened condensed milk and next 3 ingredients. Gently pour into prepared crust.
- 6. Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until almost set. (The center will not be firm but will set up as it chills.) Cool completely on a wire rack (about 1 hour). Cover and chill 4 hours.
- 7. Beat whipping cream at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy; gradually add powdered sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Dollop or spread over pie.
Have a wonderful, relaxing weekend whatever you find yourself doing!