Monday, July 30, 2012

Happy Monday!

Happy Monday! It's not a Blue Monday, Blue Day type of day except that I wish the weekend wasn't over! I just thought I'd share something with you that I attempted last night with the abundance of figs we are finally having!

I'm so proud of our fig trees! I wish I could tell them that! You know, kind of like how you are supposed to talk to your plants? 
We ate a new favorite restaurant here called Dyron's on Saturday night and had a wonderful meal! It was the Grilled Beef Tenderloin with Grilled Fig and Red Onion Relish! Oh my! It was divine! 
This just made me want to make something with figs after eating that delicious dish!
My love for figs has probably grown as large as this tree fig has!

Of course that led to more research on fig recipes….




And it ended with my version of this Figgy Focaccia Bread that I adapted  from this month's issue of Southern Living…
I think my version has to be the best! I can't wait for the leftovers tonight! I might even have to sneak some for lunch!

Just look at these caramelized red onions!!

On top of a rolled out loaf of french bread dough and topped with toasted walnuts!!
Then came the fun part! Washing, slicing and placing the beautiful figs!


We all took turns adding the goat cheese!

The smells in the kitchen were so divine at this point that we forgot this was just an appetizer!



It really came out so gloriously, I could almost hear myself singing! I just had to share the recipe with you!


Figgy Focaccia Bread

  • medium-size red onions
  • 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Coarse sea or kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
  • 1 pound bakery pizza dough ( I used french bread dough because that's all that I had on hand..)
  • 12-15 fresh figs, halved
  • toasted walnuts
  • 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves
Slice the onions and place in a skillet with 1-2 T olive oil and sprinkle with the sea salt and pepper. Saute until they begin to caramelize.
  1. Stretch your dough onto a greased cookie sheet and and top with the rosemary, toasted walnuts, halved figs and goat cheese. Bake at 350 degrees until lightly brown and cheese is melted.

Hope you try it! It is well worth the time to make it…which isn't very much! It's really quite simple! And if you are ever near Birmingham you really need to try Dyron's Low Country!
You certainly won't be sorry you did! Just look at that divine meat! Wish there was a better picture of the fig and onion relish but maybe you can just take my word for it! It was delicious!

This is how it's presented on the menu...

Grilled Hereford Beef Tenderloin Roasted Fingerling Potatoes, Arugula, Petals From the Past Figs, Grilled Red Onion & Pecan Relish    
      
I hope you have a wonderful Monday to start off your week!



7 comments:

  1. So excited to see this post. We are growing our first fig tree this year. It is small with only about 15 figs, but it is doing amazing. I was hoping to make a tart or pizza with the large (ha) bounty, so its good to see how you used yours. After reading the tenderloin description I am hungry! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omgosh these look good. I love figs and have to buy them over 100 miles away SOMETIMES!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you are cruel! This looks INSANELY GOOD! I am a figfanatic...seriously love love love them. Plus they are so pretty and we both know that gets major brownie points:) Love the sound (and looks) of the fig focaccia bread, must try this. I cannot wait to grow my own figs, next season FOR SURE. Thanks for including the yummy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool that you have your won fig tree! That focaccia looks mouth-watering good. Yum. Yum. Double yum. Bath and Bodyworks used to make a perfume I loved called Brown Sugar and Fig. I don't know why they stopped making it, each time I wore it I had tons of people ask me what scent I was wearing.

    Thanks so much for adding the Project Strength button and for guest posting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing! I'm forwarding it to my mother-in-law who has a fig tree. I just love figs and this way of preparing them is new to me. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, saving this recipe. Looks amazing, and you know how much I love figs.
    Where is the restaurant. Angela and I will have to visit. have to get the relish recipe.
    Reminds me to go to Petals from the Past!
    Happy Tuesday.
    Teresa
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete